Mathematics as Problem Solving
by Alexander Soifer
||This collection of elementary problems varies in difficulty level. It is designed to teach students mathematical concepts and techniques.
Excerpts from the book (tbs)
- Table of Contents
- Sample page of problems (pdf)
- Sample page of solutions (pdf)
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Promotional Material (tbs)
- Flyer (pdf)
- About the author
- Recommend this book to your library (pdf)
What the reviewers say
- Martin Gardner from the back cover
- "Professor Soifer has put together a splendid collection of elementary problems designed to lead students into significant mathematical concepts and techniques. Highly recommended."
- Paul Erdös from the back cover
- "The book contains a very nice collection of problems of various difficulty. I particularly liked the problems on combinatorics and geometry."
- Cecil Rousseau from The American Mathematical Monthly, 95(1988)464-465
- "Alexander Soifer is a teacher of problem solving and his book, Mathematics as Problem Solving, is designed to introduce problem solving to the next generation."
- George Berzseny from the back cover
- "The problems faithfully reflect the world famous Russian school of mathematics, whose folklore is carefully interwoven with more traditional topics."
- R. W. Whitworth from The Mathematical Gazette, 72(1988)337
- "To assemble so much material of the type used in Mathematical Olympiads, which has been tried and tested there, is unusual. To then present it in a form which develops themes, supported by relevant examples and problems for the reader, does the author great credit."
Buy this book
see other problem books
go to MathPro Press Bookstore
go to MathPro Press home page