Geometric Etudes in Combinatorial Mathematics
by Vladimir Boltyanski and Alexander Soifer
||This book is a complete collection of all Australian Mathematical Olympiad papers from the first paper in 1979 to 1995. Solutions to all of the problems are included and in a number of cases, alternative solutions are also offered.
Excerpts from the book (tbs)
- Table of Contents
- Sample page of problems (pdf)
- Sample page of solutions (pdf)
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Promotional Material (tbs)
- Flyer (pdf)
- About the authors
- Recommend this book to your library (pdf)
What the reviewers say
- Tony Gardiner from The Mathematical Gazette 76(1992)320-321
- "The book is full of nuggets."
- "The material is well chosen and the style of presentation is reasonably effective. The authors have chosen topics which capture the flavour of real mathematics, and have made them accessible to interested readers who are prepared to do some of the work."
- Don Chakerian from The American Mathematical Monthly, 99(1992)486-489
- "Their treatment is fresh and stimulating throughout. Keep this book on hand as you plan your next problem solving seminar."
- "Boltyanski and Soifer have titled their monograph aptly, inviting talented students to develop their technique and understanding by grappling with a challenging array of elegant combinatorial problems having a distinct geometric tone."
- J. Kevin Colligan from The Mathematics Teacher
- "Geometric Etudes shows geometry in a refreshing light as a subject whose frontiers are approachable by students of a range of abilities. Portions of the book are appropriate for all students, whereas other sections challenge the best students and hone both their problem-solving abilities and their ingenuity. I strongly recomment this book as a source for interesting, nonstandard geometry problems."
- Paul Erdös from the Introduction
- "I recommend this book very warmly."
- "This interesting and delightful book by two well-known geometers is written both for mature mathematicians interested in somewhat unconventional geometric problems and especially for talented young students who are interested in working on unsolved problems which can be easily understood by beginners and whose solutions perhaps will not require a great deal of knowledge but may require a great deal of ingenuity."
- Martin Gardner from the back cover
- "Alexander Soifer and Vladimir Boltyanski have produced a fascinating book, filled with material I have not seen before in any book."
- Branko Grünbaum from the Introduction
- "Throughout the text, the authors show great mastery of the topics discussed. Their infectious enthusiasm for opening our eyes to the beauties of the worlds of geometry and combinatorics should make this book attractive to a wide audience. It is to be hoped that the following pages will bring the joy of understanding, seeing, and discovering geometry to many of our young people."
- M. Lassak from Zentralblatt fur Mathematik
- "This is a popular book written for talented high school students. Also a mathematician can get much pleasure in recalling some well known theorems and problems on tilings, graphs, and most of all on convex figures. Very many exercises with solutions are built into the text. This gives some extra pleasure to the reader and enables to draw him into an active study."
- Cecil Rousseau from the Introduction
- "The reader is surprised and delighted by exquisite gems of geometry and combinatorics. A leisurely and captivating presentation leads the reader into a world of tilings, graphs, and convex figures. It is a world that will be long remembered for its striking problems and results."
Buy this book
see other problem books
go to MathPro Press Bookstore
go to MathPro Press home page